Your estate gifts help to advance Lake Junaluska’s mission to be a place of Christian hospitality where lives are transformed through renewal of soul, mind and body. Thank you!
Given the opportunity, most of us would like to make a lasting impact on the things we value and hold dear. Established in 2021, the Lake Junaluska Legacy Circle is composed of generous benefactors who have chosen to support Lake Junaluska’s long-term success by making a planned gift commitment. These charitable supporters have arranged for a gift through their will or living trust, life insurance, or other estate-related commitment.
Hear Donors' Stories
A Gift to Open Doors
“The Lake was a place where I learned, where I listened to God’s nudges, where I met new friends, and where I made new acquaintances. It’s also the place where I have made every single important decision in my life. If it hadn’t been for lab schools, I probably never would have gone the route of ordination and Christian education.
Lake Junaluska personifies Christian hospitality and transformation. I hope that my estate gift will open doors for others to grow to love Lake Junaluska as I do.”
An Investment in the Future
“We’re evolving to include younger people and create intergenerational experiences through increased use of the lake for multiple activities. We are setting the course for the spiritual retreat for all people.
It’s a wonderful thing to invite people to invest now in the future of Lake Junaluska. I hope the Lake will be a place of Christian hospitality for years to come.”
Ron Clauser & Nancy Oates
Lake Junaluska, NC
A Hope for Growing Faith
“It gives us comfort to think that in the future after we are gone, something we have done may carry forth and help others in their faith walk.
We are impressed with the leadership, the integrity, and the vision of Lake Junaluska. We hope that the Lake remains not just a hospitable place but a place that people can grow in their faith and understanding of our Lord and Savior.”
Reed & Polly Shirley
Sugar Land, Texas
A Legacy of Eternal Value
“We long talked about wanting to leave a legacy that would go to something of eternal value, and that was where we got that idea that we would leave a portion of our estate to Lake Junaluska.
When you give to something it becomes part of you. We put our treasure in Lake Junaluska, and it warmed our heart to see what was being done with the support that we were giving, so our legacy gift is just a continuation of that.”
Bernie & Snookie Brown
A Special Love for the Lake
“Since Robin and I have practiced the tithing of our resources for the fifty-seven years of our marriage and with a special love for Lake Junaluska as well, we have decided that the final tithe of our assets will be for Lake Junaluska.
Thus, our gift will continue to help make Junaluska ‘a place of Christian hospitality where lives are transformed through the renewal of soul, mind and body.’ We are grateful the Junaluska Legacy Circle makes this possible.”
Bob & Robin Bowling
A Gift for a Bright Future
“For more than 50 years, Lake Junaluska has served as a retreat for our family and we treasure the multigenerational friendships that have developed here. It wasn’t a hard choice for us to support a place that has been life-changing. We hope that our legacy gift will help ensure a bright future for Lake Junaluska.”
Sally (Gray) & Eric Smith
Lake Junaluska Legacy Circle Members
Lake Junaluska is deeply grateful to the Legacy Circle members listed below for including Lake Junaluska Assembly in their estate plans. Their estate gifts will make a lasting impact and help to sustain the mission and ministry of Lake Junaluska for future generations. Thank you! Click below to view the full list of members:
- Expand Legacy Circle Members List contentCollapse Legacy Circle Members List contentLegacy Circle Members List
Rev. W. Robert and Dr. Barbara J.* Borom
Dr. and Mrs. Robert C. Bowling
Bernie and Snookie Brown
Ms. Dorathy M. Chance
Mr. Ronald Clauser and Mrs. Nancy Oates
Rev. Larry and Mrs. Gail Clifton
Mr. and Mrs. Frank L. Cooke
Mr. Kevin FitzGerald and Mrs. Cynthia L. Slaughter
Rev. Sandy and Rev. Susan Giles
Dr. Paul* and Mrs. Barbara Hardin
Dr. and Mrs. Edward R. Hardin
Camilla and Jay Hicks
Bobby Ray and Jill R.* Hicks
Ken and Suzanne Howle
Ms. Flo Johnson
Rev. Judith O. Jolly
Dr. and Mrs. David S. Lawson
Dr. and Mrs. Jacob C. Martinson Jr.
Ms. Jane Clark Moorman
Joe Edd and Sandi Morris
Rev. Cecil K.* and Mrs. Ellen R. Myrick
Rev. Larry and Mrs. Myrna* Roberts
John and Sandra Scott
Dr. and Mrs. L. Reed Shirley
Mr. and Mrs. Eric E. Smith
Mr. and Mrs. Melvin Spain
LTC and Mrs. L. Wilson Strickhausen
Dr. and Mrs. Harrison D. Turner
Mr. David H.* and Mrs. Lynda H. Varner
Mrs. Marleen A. Varner
Mr. William S.* and Mrs. Jean F. Ward
Anne and Mike Warren
Mr. and Mrs. Wayne G. Wegwart
An asterisk (*) denotes that a person is deceased
The Lake Junaluska Legacy Circle was established in 2021 and recognizes current charitable supporters who are including Lake Junaluska in their estate plans. If you have included Lake Junaluska in your estate plans, but do not see your name listed above it is most likely because the Lake Junaluska Development Office has not received written documentation of your planned gift to Lake Junaluska. Please contact the Development Office to join the Lake Junaluska Legacy Circle. Thank you!
(Members List current as of 10/13/2022)
Create Your Lake Junaluska Legacy
To discuss opportunities for a planned gift such as bequest, annuities or trusts, please contact the Office of Development at 828-454-6680.
The legal name and address for planned gift documents such as a will or beneficiary form is: Lake Junaluska Assembly, Inc., PO Box 67, Lake Junaluska, NC 28745.
See our Spring and Summer estate planning newsletters (PDFs in sidebar) for more information about ways to give.
Planned Giving Resources
Browse Frequently Asked Questions
- Expand What Is Planned Giving? contentCollapse What Is Planned Giving? contentWhat Is Planned Giving?
Planned giving helps you plan your estate and charitable giving in a way that benefits you, your family, and charitable organizations whose values align with your own. Several types of planned gifts exist that not only help institutions such as Lake Junaluska but also provide tax and income benefits to you.
There are many ways you may provide for Lake Junaluska through your estate. Here are a few examples:
- Bequest: Including Lake Junaluska in your will through a bequest will reduce the size of your estate for federal estate tax purposes. Bequests can be unrestricted or designated. Types of bequests include outright, residual, percentage, or contingent.
- Trust: Establishing a trust can result in income provided to you during your lifetime and to certain beneficiaries for their lifetimes. Contributions of $100,000 or more are often used to fund the desired trust.
- Life Insurance: You can assign all rights of ownership of a current policy to Lake Junaluska and receive an income tax deduction in the year of the gift. You can assign a partially paid-up policy or purchase a new policy listing Lake Junaluska as the owner and beneficiary.
- Charitable Gift Annuity (CGA): A contract between you and Lake Junaluska which will provide a fixed annual income for life and income tax deduction benefits. Gifts ranging from $5,000 to $100,000 are usually selected to fund a CGA.
- Life Estate Agreement: Allow you to make a gift of a personal or secondary residence or family farm to Lake Junaluska. You retain the right to live in the house for life. You are responsible for upkeep, taxes, and insurance as long as you live in the home. This gives you substantial tax benefits.
- Expand How Do I Join the Legacy Circle? contentCollapse How Do I Join the Legacy Circle? contentHow Do I Join the Legacy Circle?
Whether you have already included Lake Junaluska in your estate plans or are in the process of doing so, joining the Lake Junaluska Legacy Circle is simple. Notify us of your planned gift intention by completing and returning the downloadable membership form below.*
* If you have previously notified Lake Junaluska of your planned gift commitment, but have not yet completed the membership form, we ask that you complete the form and provide any updated information about your planned gift. This will assist Lake Junaluska in being good stewards of your legacy gift. Thank you!
- Expand How Does Lake Junaluska Recognize Legacy Circle Members? contentCollapse How Does Lake Junaluska Recognize Legacy Circle Members? contentHow Does Lake Junaluska Recognize Legacy Circle Members?
Members of the Lake Junaluska Legacy Circle will receive special recognition and will be honored in a variety of ways, including:
- Recognition on our website
- Tributes in publications such as the Annual Report
- Invitations to special events at Lake Junaluska
- Custom-made Lake Junaluska Legacy Circle planter