Summer and winter youth retreats at Lake Junaluska bring youth groups together for spiritual growth, fellowship and fun.
Lake Junaluska is committed to connecting youth to Christ through meaningful ministry, recreation and education. Youth groups that participate in Lake Junaluska’s retreats enjoy not only the on-site programming but also opportunities for mission work and mountain adventures from skiing to whitewater rafting.
Groups choose their accommodations and gather for meals at York Dining Commons, which offers a lakeside deck perfect for fellowship. We also welcome youth groups to Lake Junaluska who wish to plan their own retreats!
Make memories and have fun as a youth group as you grow closer to God and each other this summer at Lake Junaluska.
Plan your summer youth group retreat at the Lake. Enjoy meaningful moments and time for recreation and fun! Just steps from Shackford Hall is volleyball, cornhole, knockout (basketball), Gaga ball, 9 Square in the Air, the Walking Trail and the lakeside pool. Your group can also make reservations to rent paddleboards, kayaks or canoes, or add on a trip to enjoy rafting, ziplining or a high-ropes adventure course.
Does your youth group want to spend time in service? Ask us about taking part in such projects as building ramps for people who have mobility challenges, completing critical landscaping tasks, and assisting food kitchens, food pantries and organizations that provide clothing, shoes and other items for people in need.
Want to receive email updates about youth ministry programs at Lake Junaluska? Subscribe to our email newsletter.
Click on any of the images to view in a full-size lightbox gallery.
Ski Lake Junaluska
Group ski packages include skiing or snowboarding at Cataloochee Ski Area, lodging at Lake Junaluska, and breakfast on the first full day through breakfast on your day of departure. Skiing includes your ski/snowboard rental, boot rental and lift ticket. Pick the dates that work for your youth group. Download a Ski Lake Junaluska interest form (PDF) or contact us.
Winter Youth Retreats
Bring your youth group to the mountains for one of five Lake Junaluska Winter Youth Retreats! Join us for energized worship, fellowship and fun. You also will be able to add on adventures such as skiing or snowboarding, or taking part in a mission project. Download a Ski Lake Junaluska Programming interest form (PDF) or contact us.
Dec. 30, 2022-Jan. 2, 2023
Ring in the new year together as one body of Christ. Program details to be announced.
Jan. 13-16, 2023
The retreat weekend includes Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Program details to be announced. See retreat schedule (PDF).
Jan. 20-22, 2023
Program details to be announced. See retreat schedule (PDF).
Jan. 27-29, 2023
Program details to be announced. See retreat schedule (PDF).
Feb. 17-20, 2023
Retreat weekend includes Presidents’ Day. Program details to be announced. See retreat schedule (PDF).
- Expand What are your COVID-19 health and safety protocols? contentCollapse What are your COVID-19 health and safety protocols? contentWhat are your COVID-19 health and safety protocols?
Lake Junaluska has been taking extensive measures based on guidance from the CDC to ensure safe and healthy stays at all of our lodging facilities. Please see our current health and safety protocols for more information on how all of the Lake Junaluska staff is maintaining a high standard of sanitation in all Lake Junaluska facilities.
- Expand Are snowboard rentals included in the ski package? contentCollapse Are snowboard rentals included in the ski package? contentAre snowboard rentals included in the ski package?
Yes. The ski package includes either a set of skis or a snowboard, fitted boots, your lift ticket, and a lesson. Each person can choose whether they would like to ski or snowboard. Helmets can be rented for an additional fee.
- Expand Does Lake Junaluska provide transportation to Cataloochee, mission sites or any off-site destination? contentCollapse Does Lake Junaluska provide transportation to Cataloochee, mission sites or any off-site destination? contentDoes Lake Junaluska provide transportation to Cataloochee, mission sites or any off-site destination?
No. Groups are responsible for off-site transportation.
- Expand Are there date restrictions for my group to ski through Lake Junaluska? contentCollapse Are there date restrictions for my group to ski through Lake Junaluska? contentAre there date restrictions for my group to ski through Lake Junaluska?
No. Groups are encouraged to come on the dates that work best for you! We do invite you to come to Lake Junaluska during one of our programmed events with a New Year’s party or a speaker and band, and join us in worship!
- Expand When will workshops happen during our retreat? contentCollapse When will workshops happen during our retreat? contentWhen will workshops happen during our retreat?
You can choose which day of your retreat you would like to spend in workshops, and our program staff will set everything up for you! We do suggest having your workshop day before you ski or pair your mission and workshop day together.
- Expand What are the mission work projects? contentCollapse What are the mission work projects? contentWhat are the mission work projects?
Lake Junaluska will be partnering with local organizations to serve our neighbors here in Haywood and Jackson counties. Some mission projects in Haywood County will help address the needs of a community in which hundreds of homes were damaged or destroyed, and families displaced due to flooding in August 2021 from Tropical Storm Fred.
Youth Group Lodging
Lodging popular with youth groups at Lake Junaluska includes Mountainview, Lake Junaluska Apartments and Hillside Lodge. All are close to Shackford Hall, York Dining Commons and Lake Junaluska’s pool and recreation areas.
Summer Youth Retreat – Mission Week 2022 – Interest Form (PDF)
Ski Lake Junaluska – 2022-23 Interest Form (PDF)
Ski Lake Junaluska with Programming – Winter Youth Retreat – 2022-23 Interest Form (PDF)