Lake Junaluska is just 12 miles from one of the best places to ski and snowboard in the South.
At 5,400 feet elevation, Cataloochee Ski Area in Maggie Valley has a vertical drop of 740 feet. The longest run is 2/3 of a mile! Plus, with an advanced snowmaking system, they are open most of the winter. We invite you and your family to stay with us for your ski vacation to the North Carolina mountains at The Terrace Hotel or historic Lambuth Inn. Stay three nights and save with our Winter Lodging Special. (We also offer group ski packages (popular with youth groups and scout troops!) as part of our Winter Youth Retreats.)
After an exhilarating day of fun on the slopes, return to relaxation by the lake. You can unwind in a rocking chair, warm yourself by the fire at The Terrace Hotel, or take a leisurely stroll on the Lake Junaluska Walking Trail, which offers 2.3- or 3.8-mile loops. Pick up a specialty latte at Junaluska Gifts & Grounds gift and coffee shop, or treat yourself at Crepe & Custard. Plus, when you stay at Lake Junaluska, you will be within 3 miles of Maggie Valley and Waynesville, close to 100+ area restaurants, and an easy drive to Asheville.
Please note the lake level may be below full pool during your stay due to a lake drawdown scheduled to take place between December and March.
More Ski Information & Tips
At Cataloochee, enjoy panoramic views of the Great Smokies as you ride 18 slopes and trails on 50 acres. Their advanced snowmaking system creates great skiing conditions much of the winter. If you have never skied, sign up for a lesson your first day. You can rent equipment and clothing if needed.
- Never skied? Cataloochee has classes and private lessons. Read more.
- See the latest Cataloochee weather update.
- Check out these lift ticket tips:
- Lift tickets midweek (Monday-Friday daytime & Monday-Thursday nights, excluding holidays) run lower than weekends and holiday periods.
- The Lift Ticket/Equipment Rental package is lower midweek.
- Want to try snow tubing? Operated by Cataloochee and located down in the valley (4281 Soco Rd. Maggie Valley), Tube World offers groomed lanes and tubes for fun for all ages with no experience needed. Book a two-hour session. Go to their website for details.
- Lake Junaluska is located in the valley, so we receive much less snowfall than at the ski resort. While they do an outstanding job clearing the roads, 4-wheel drive is sometimes required to climb the mountain to reach the ski resort.
Group Ski Packages
Each year, we host youth retreats of all sizes for churches, scout troops and more with special affordable accommodations on the west side of the lake. Group ski packages include lodging, meals, lift tickets, boots and skis/snowboards. Meeting spaces are also available for gatherings before or after the day on the slopes. Go to our Winter Youth Retreats page.